Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Peppermint Schnapps Hot Cocoa {from scratch} Recipe

peppermint schnapps hot cocoa (from scratch) recipe


What better way to warm yourself right down to the toes this holiday season than with a rich, homemade hot cocoa spiked with Peppermint Schnapps? This tasty winter treat is an adaptation of my Bourbon Hot Chocolate recipe. I know I love chocolate and mint together, so I thought I'd sub the bourbon out for some Peppermint Schnapps and see what I got. 

Well? What did I get? Heaven. And here's the recipe! 

INGREDIENTS:
serves 2

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
• 2 TBS dutch-processed cocoa powder
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 3/4 cups water
• 3 oz (2 shots) peppermint schnapps 
• whipped cream & crushed candy canes (optional toppings)

DIRECTIONS:
hot chocolate (from scratch recipe) with peppermint schnapps

Combine sugar, chocolate, cocoa powder, and salt in a saucepan with water. Warm over medium heat and whisk constantly until mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat.

Add one shot (1.5 oz) Peppermint Schnapps to each mug, pour in hot chocolate mixture and stir. 

Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes if you want, and serve!

hot chocolate (from scratch recipe) with peppermint schnapps



Like the idea of adding a homemade boozy whipped cream? Follow this recipe but substitute the bourbon for peppermint schnapps. (I'll also show you how to make these cute little whipped cream stars :)

rich bourbon hot cocoa with boozy whipped cream stars




No comments:

Post a Comment